New England Regional Convening
Nearly 150 leaders convened in Boston to generate ideas and actions for mobilizing encore talent throughout New England, and to be part of the first-ever Encore Prize Pitch contest.
WHAT’S THE OPPORTUNITY?
New England’s six-state region is older than other US regions. By 2030, the region’s 60+ population will grow to 4 million, from 2.9 million in 2010. That means 28% of the region’s population will be 60+.[i]
Discover, explore, and unite innovative approaches being developed throughout New England to mobilize the region’s growing older population as a force for social impact and change.
• Connect with national, regional, and local leaders who share your interests.
• Learn about existing and emerging innovations, in New England and beyond.
• Work with others to shape the narrative of what aging means for New England.
• Influence decisions about shared actions for our region.
Aging as Opportunity: New England’s “Experience Dividend”
- Welcome and New England’s Encore Opportunity: Moderated by Lester Strong – former broadcast news anchor; former executive, AARP Experience Corps; and board member, Encore.org
- Regional Perspective: Hear from 2-3 New England leaders
- New England and the National Encore Movement: Marc Freedman – Founder and CEO, Encore.org.
- Spotlight on Voices and Views from New England: A quick “tour” of a dozen ideas, initiatives and organizations.
- Exploring the Encore Ecosystem: What picture of assets is emerging? Add your voice.
Networking Lunch: Building Connections
Afternoon Working Session
- Working Groups: Generating Ideas for the Future
- Synthesis: Taking Action Together
- Closing Words and Thank You
Encore Prize Pitch Contest & Celebration
First-ever Encore Prize: Generation to Generation Challenge. Created by Encore.org, this six-month competition, featuring innovative ideas to connect older adults with youth, will culminate at this event in Boston. Help choose who will win!
- Learn about the Generation to Generation campaign
- Five Encore Prize finalists pitch their innovative ideas to connect older adults with young people and compete for the prize
- Audience voting and announcement of $50K winners
- Moderated conversation with social innovators
Wine, cheese, celebration & networking
MATERIALS FROM THE CONVENING
Local Planning Partners
Special thanks to representatives of the following organizations for input and ideas:
Encore Boston Network
Beacon Hill Village
City of Boston, Commissioner on Affairs of the Elderly
Dots, Inc. Enterprises, Vermont
ESC of New England
Generation to Generation Boston
Life Planning Network
State of Massachusetts, Executive Office of Elder Affairs
Encore.org (formerly Civic Ventures) is a national nonprofit that is focused on a simple, powerful, timely idea: tapping the talent, skills and life experience of the rapidly growing older population to solve significant societal problems.
Encore.org wishes to thank our funders for The Encore Prize and our convening work:
And organizations that are helping with the inaugural cycle of The Encore Prize: